Hidden in Plain Sight:
The Material World of Early Springfield


Dr. John Todd House

Washington Street between First and Second Streets 1827

Photo courtesy of Richard E. Hart

This was the first two-story frame house in Springfield, built for Mary Lincoln’s uncle, Dr. John Todd. When it was built in 1827 it was considered “the best house in town.” The area around this house became known as “Todd Square” and served as Springfield’s unofficial town square.